Last year we had started to get a few problems with weed and debris etc. in the lake. These were proving to be hazardous to our model boats, where fouling the props was becoming a problem. Those of us with yachts were also experiencing difficulties. It was decided that our members would try to sort the problem out themselves by donning waders and raking out as much weed as possible. It proved to be an onerous task, but we managed to clear large amounts of growth and debris etc. In actual fact, this really was a job for the council as the lake is part of a local park, so we approached them with a view to them clearing even more of the debris.
At the beginning of January, the council agreed to take over the task and the water level was lowered right down so that heavy machinery could take over and clear the bottom of the lake and have it cleaned up by the end of February. Unfortunately, the work was delayed for various reasons, and not only because of the bad weather conditions. The lake was found to contain hundreds of frogs, frog spawn and various fish which all had to be removed to other council waters. The work was finally completed by the workmen in March this year. They did an excellent job which has left the lake looking very clean and ready for us to put on some good shows.